The Museum Kunst der Westküste is a non-profit foundation. The museum collects, researches, communicates and exhibits art that deals with the themes of sea and coast. The point of departure is formed by the paintings collection of the museum’s founder, Prof. h.c. Frederik Paulsen. The Sammlung Kunst der Westküste comprises Danish, German, Dutch and Norwegian art from the years 1830 to 1930. This Europe-oriented collection concept will continue to be developed and expanded in future.
We present our collection to the public in the form of special exhibitions, bringing classical and contemporary art into a fruitful dialogue.
We promote scholarly research and maintain close contacts with artists, collectors and museums.
We make a contribution to the cultural identity of the North Frisian coastal regions and to the cross-cultural dialogue between Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Norway.
We dedicate ourselves to ensuring that great importance continues to be attached to art and aesthetic education in our society.
We are a cosmopolitan, service-oriented and family-friendly museum that welcomes people of all age groups and social backgrounds.
The founder of the West Coast Art Museum is entrepreneur Prof. h.c. Frederik Paulsen, whose ancestors come from the Island of Föhr. The museum makes his extensive collection of West Coast art available to the public, while providing an outstanding architectural backdrop for the presentation of special exhibitions. In founding the museum, Prof. Paulsen also wanted to honour the life’s work of his father, Dr. Frederik Paulsen senior (1909-1997), who founded the Ferring pharmaceutical company and rendered outstanding services throughout his life to the preservation, lasting promotion and European anchoring of the Frisian language and culture.
The West Coast Art Museum was conceived according to plans by renowned architect Gregor Sunder-Plassmann as a multipart museum complex uniting tradition and modernism in a harmonious whole. Six separate galleries, designed to the highest standard, offer exhibition space of over 900 sqm.
The museum’s architecture addresses local building and landscape history in a differentiated fashion by integrating existing buildings, quoting historical barns and making tangible to visitors the difference in levels between the sandy coastal heathlands and the lower marshland.
The complex, built between 2006 and 2009, also includes a museum garden and “Grethjens Gasthof“, built in the style of a Scandinavian manor house from the period around 1900. Carrying on its traditional function as a meeting place for artists working on Föhr and as a site where natives and guests congregate, this building now houses the museum restaurant.
Public Relations & Marketing / Research Associate
Dr. Christiane Morsbach
Dr. Sabine Schlenker
Registry / Research Associate
Katrin Petersen M.A.
Dr. Katrin Hippel
Merle Staege M.A.
Events / Guided Tours
Friends, Sponsors & Partners
Carola Ellmers Gabriela von Hollen-Heindorff Dr. Christiane Morsbach
Gabriela von Hollen-Heindorff Dr. Christiane Morsbach
Financial Management / Controlling
Head of Shop / Information / Guided Tours
Shop / Information / Guided Tours
Anke Iwersen Kreetz